Individualized Learning Plan
A Key Element in Your Student’s Success
An Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) provides each student with a holistic roadmap to support his or her journey through Insight School of Indiana (ISIN) and onward to postsecondary opportunities.
Developed in partnership with the student’s family and ISIN staff, the ILP captures course plans, personal interests, and a student’s college and career aspirations.
Typically led by your student’s counselor, the ILP team creates a unique plan that organizes and properly sequences your student’s coursework while articulating his or her academic strengths and challenges. Some students are ready to move more quickly in one subject but need extra help in others. The ILP establishes a strategy to help make the right choices for your student.
In addition to an ILP, all students complete a personal graduation plan (ICAP), which is designed to help your student start and stay on track for graduation. The ICAP includes a plan of study, establishes student learning goals, and is monitored through monthly discussions with the student’s counselor or teacher.
A Crucial Element Is Our Unique Assessment Testing
At ISIN, we use leading evaluation methods to clearly identify and monitor where your student is academically.
- Each student takes benchmark tests at the beginning of the year to diagnose strengths and challenges.
- We include, but go beyond, state testing with a focus on fine-tuning exactly what each student needs.
- We develop realistic learning objectives and a comprehensive, customized plan to reach goals.
- Ongoing testing is administered, as needed, to ensure each student is making progress against goals. This is a powerful aspect of our individualized approach, as it enables teachers and parents to know how much progress a student is actually making.
- For high school students, the ILP expands beyond academic objectives to include postsecondary goals for college and/or a career.
The ILP is informed by teachers who work with tools in the online school platform to make sure lesson plans are based on your student’s needs and to see the progress he or she has made to date. Parents and older students can use the planning and progress tools to organize their schedule, create flexibility when needed, and track completed work. These easy-to-use features give you the real-time information you want and the structure your student needs.
As important as the ILP is, it is just one of the innovative elements that make up our plan for your student’s success. Read on to learn about our unique Social and Emotional Learning program.